What Gets in the Way of Your Writing?

 

What gets in the way of writing? It’s rarely lack of time or having something to say. In a time of crisis there is little extra time, but typically the problem with time is there are so many things that get in the way of doing what you want to do. Everyday there are distractions that take away your focus. Insecurity, energy level, other priorities, and information overload can be the biggest factors for not feeling like you have time to write. When you value your craft, your writing will take center stage.

Distractions

Everyday little distractions can disrupt your flow when writing, for example, I was in the middle of writing a thought, when I heard the candy bag rustle in the kitchen. I was a little hungry too, so I decided to fix a nice breakfast for my husband and I, so we wouldn’t dig into the halloween candy. Coming back to my writing after a meal, I felt refreshed and more in tune with my writing. The occasional distraction can be helpful. We, as writers have distractions, just as our readers have. It’s helpful to keep in mind that our readers may not be reading straight through what we write, so clarity in our writing is helpful. 

Focus

With so many distractions, it can be hard to find the focus needed for writing. Often what’s called writer’s block, is just a lack of focus. The energy is there, the desire to get the manuscript, article, or blog post written, but you can’t remember what you wanted to say or just don’t know how to say it. When you draw a blank, take a few deep breaths, and find focus. Try this brief Visual Focus Exercise where Gohar and I demonstrate a simple technique. You might even find yourself smiling.

Energy

Energy cycles affect all writers. There is a time for writing, a time for editing, and a time for reaching out and creating our tribe of interested readers. Then there is the time for the business of being a writer. Finding the right time for putting on your different hats can improve your rhythm as a writer. But then, sometimes you just write––the best part of being a writer!

Priorities

It’s easy to question the value of creative work, especially when you spend days, weeks, and sometimes years to complete and publish a book or a project. That writing gremlin pops into your head questioning your motives. “Why am I doing this?” or “Am I wasting my time?” Is there something more important I should be doing right now? You can look back at your values, the values you defined for yourself, and know you are doing the work you were meant to do. You can use the Match Your Values to the Work You Want to Do worksheet for a vocabulary of words to help define your values. 

Insecurity


I want to write. I would love to see my writing published by a known publisher and have amazing comments on my book. 

I would love to write articles that people read and enjoy or learn from.

I would love to be an amazing writer.

I can write something today for the enjoyment of writing, to share something important to me, and to connect with others. 

I can write and enjoy the adventure. Isn't that what writing is all about? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Purple Carrot Personality Style™ Goes for a Walk

Writing Prompt: The Most wonderful Time of the Year

A Green Bean Personality Style™ Goes for a Walk